Thursday, March 24, 2011

Pathfinding

This week I finished up the A* algorithm. Now that I have basic pathfinding implemented, I'd like to integrate it with Unity so that I can give an agent a target destination and have it move to the target using the calculated path. Right now, the implementation assumes that obstacles are not moving, which of course is an unrealistic assumption and an area that I will need to revisit later. Another next step will be to code a basic AI for "wandering" enemy movement.

As far as self evaluation goes, I feel that these past few weeks have been more difficult in terms of balancing senior design with my other classes. I felt that my alpha review went well and that my work earlier in the semester helped me build a strong foundation for my project. Now I just need to set aside more time to actually coding and implementing my framework. It seems sometimes that the deeper I get into the project, the more tasks I discover and need to add to my to do list (such as basic AI for enemies).

Current task list:
- Integrate pathfinding with Unity
- Enemy AI for wandering movement
- Visibility algorithm
- Updating A* for moving enemies
- Implement behaviors

Needless to say, I have a lot of hard work ahead of me! The self evaluation was helpful in recognizing this--thanks Joe!

2 comments:

  1. I don't remember too many details about A* from AI, but I recall most of the traversal algorithms use a heuristic or evaluation (right?).

    Are you using some kind of scoring system, e.g. -500 points if seen, -1000 if caught, -5 per space traversed? And if yes, how are you setting these values?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once you have it with Unity put up some videos.

    Lu is on the right track with her comments about weighting cells with visibility and weighting your heuristic dynamically based on the behavior tree.

    ReplyDelete